S“virtuous” or “harmful” system: the Canadian mannequin of unemployment insurance coverage, which the federal government intends to attract inspiration from to modulate compensation in line with the financial state of affairs, worries the unions. Throughout his marketing campaign for a second time period, Emmanuel Macron dedicated to a brand new reform of unemployment insurance coverage, with the concept it will be “stricter when too many roles are unfilled, extra beneficiant when unemployment is excessive “.
Since then, the Minister of Labor, Olivier Dussopt, who considers it “regular to encourage restoration” when there are, on the similar time, recruitment tensions and seven.three% unemployment, has cited the Canadian mannequin a number of occasions. This supplies that the circumstances of entry to unemployment insurance coverage and the length of compensation range routinely in line with the regional unemployment charge. Thus, in a area with unemployment under 6%, you have to have labored 700 hours to be compensated, in comparison with 420 hours in a area with unemployment above 13%, in line with a notice from Unédic in 2021. The length of Compensation varies from 14 to 45 weeks.
“Not every little thing that’s executed in Canada will be duplicated in France”
In France, as a primary step, the present guidelines, which expire on the finish of October, can be prolonged through a textual content of legislation initially of the college yr. Olivier Dussopt defined that he then wished a “session” with the unions and the employers. “Areas will be opened, on the length of compensation and its reducing nature”, he stated, whereas noting that “every little thing that’s executed in Canada just isn’t essentially duplicable in France”. And this whereas the impression of the newest controversial reform, which absolutely entered into drive in December, has not but been measured.
Unédic had estimated within the spring of 2021 that as much as 1.15 million folks opening rights within the yr following the applying would obtain a decrease month-to-month allowance (by 17% on common), with a “theoretical length of prolonged compensation. For Bruno Coquet, specialist in unemployment insurance coverage, the concept of modulating in line with the financial state of affairs is sweet, however “the satan is within the particulars”. With the Canadian mannequin, “what drawback will we need to remedy? asks this skilled affiliated with the OFCE (French Observatory of Financial Circumstances).
READ ALSOCompensation for industrial tribunals: the Macron scale definitively reinforced
The concept of the chief is that “individuals who obtain unemployment insurance coverage may occupy the accessible jobs, subsequently that it’s essential to decrease the rights to occupy the accessible jobs”, he notes. Nonetheless, solely “about 40% of the unemployed are compensated”. Why is the remaining 60% “not accepting the roles?” “This level ought to nonetheless be clarified,” he provides. What’s extra, the Canadian system is “typically the fuel works” and “I did not see that it decreased the difficulties of recruitment”, estimates the economist, seeing in it reasonably a “dressing of a discount of rights” whereas eager to keep away from any “trial of intent”.
An “previous employer demand” for the unions
Co-author of a notice advancing this observe of modulation from 2021, Stéphane Carcillo, economist on the OECD (Group for Financial Co-operation and Improvement), believes that it’s “fairly virtuous from a theoretical standpoint”. “It additionally works” from an empirical standpoint, he asserts. “When the financial system is sweet, the marginally stricter guidelines actually push folks in the direction of employment. “However this former adviser to Christine Lagarde at Bercy additionally warns that we should keep away from” the fuel plant “with a French system” already very complicated “and properly” calibrate “the system.
Within the union ranks, unanimously against the newest reform, this “previous employer demand” is obtained greater than coldly. “It is imprecise and it is harmful”, criticizes Denis Gravouil (CGT). With this modulation, it will be “a form of acceleration of the change within the nature of unemployment insurance coverage, by making it an instrument of stress to simply accept any job”. The Canadian mannequin “seems fairly on paper”, however “will primarily hit individuals who have issue discovering a job”, provides Jean-François Foucard (CFE-CGC).
READ ALSOEmmanuel Macron or the vertigo of the second term
For Michel Beaugas (FO): “It is double, even triple punishment for job seekers. The newest reform is already decreasing the compensation and we’re going to inform them: “We’re going to shorten it.” “Nonetheless, he underlines, the explanation for the recruitment tensions, “it’s not unemployment insurance coverage, it’s the attractiveness of the professions, the hours, the working circumstances and the wage”.
Leave a Reply