Saint-Amans, Saint-Naamas (Madeleine), Saint-Simply… Within the 12th century, three church buildings have been put in within the Saint-Amans district.
The Saint-Amans church will not be the one church round which the Bourg de Rodez has developed because the finish of Antiquity. Within the 12th century the church buildings of Saint-Naamas and that of Saint-Simply have been cited as possessions of the Abbey of Saint-Amans, on the time of its donation to the Abbey of Saint-Victor in Marseille. That is the primary identified point out of those two buildings.
If the placement of the Saint-Simply church will not be identified, that of Saint-Naamas is extra documented. The identify of Naamas, named after the deacon of Bishop Amans, was modified within the 14th century by that of the Magdalen. The primary small funerary constructing had been changed, most likely within the 11th century, by a still-cramped church with a vaulted apse.
It was enlarged within the 15th and 16th centuries with the addition of a transept and the modification of the choir to a bedside desk with a flat backside.
The church destroyed on the request of the inhabitants
Offered as Nationwide Property through the Revolution, it was then destroyed in 1808 on the request of the inhabitants of the district, thus making a small sq. which took the identify of the church.
Initially, this sq. was circuitously linked to the Saint-Amans church, and it was essential to succeed in them bypassing the previous priory gardens, the Madeleine church, the parish presbytery, and a number of other dwellings, passing via rue des Pénitents Bleus (now rue Denys-Affre) or through the priory passage and rue de Laumière. In 1807, an alignment plan for the streets of Rodez was established, like many cities in France on the identical time. The undertaking includes the drilling of a 6 meter broad avenue within the extension of rue Saint-Amans, as much as Place de la Madeleine. This undertaking is not going to be carried out till 1849, when the final plots on the route are bought to the town.
The refractory priest
Half a century later, there’s speak of the enlargement of this avenue, in order that “air and lightweight flow into freely in rue Saint-Amans, however nonetheless on the place de la Madeleine, in rue François- Cabrol, in rue Denys-Affre “, as we will learn within the deliberations of the municipal council of Rodez of December eight, 1899.
Nonetheless, on the brand new avenue route is the presbytery of the parish of Saint-Amans, whose parish priest has nonetheless not left the partitions regardless of repeated requests. The latter, who may now not be accommodated by the municipality, needed to settle in a home situated rue de Laumière, bequeathed by a parishioner ten years earlier.
Nonetheless, this home can’t be occupied with out expensive work, to which is added the necessity to purchase a terraced home to be able to enable unbiased entry to the brand new presbytery. Vote of a subsidy from the city corridor, sale of a home belonging to the parish, return journey for validation to the Prefecture… If the executive consequence of the case will not be identified exactly, the presbytery is destroyed, and the road enlarged in accordance with the undertaking. A plan drawn up in 1768 gave the inside format, with its alcove bedrooms attribute of 18th century home consolation.
The Bourg district has developed round non secular buildings which, except for the church of Saint-Amans, have all disappeared. Nonetheless, the city and non secular communities of Le Bourg have proven dynamism and adaptableness which preserve their status on the degree of the Metropolis and its cathedral. All of this has formed the south aspect of the town to today, across the church tower that bears the identify of its first bishop.
Discover the heritage service of Rodez agglomeration on: www.patrimoine.rodezagglo.fr